On 5 September 2021 SafeWork SA received notification of a Notifiable Incident in an underground mine.
An underground worker sustained fatal crush injuries while operating a truck mounted vehicle loading crane. The worker was in the process of setting up the cranes outriggers.
We remind all mine operators to develop, implement and maintain safe systems of work to control the risk of operating mobile plant in an underground mine.
We advise mine operators and persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) to ensure:
- comprehensive risk assessments are undertaken for the use of mobile plant
- mobile plant is fit for purpose
- workers are trained and assessed as competent in the use of mobile plant
- systems are in place for adequate supervision of workers
- maintenance of mobile plant is in accordance with the OEM recommendations.
Visit our website for further mining and quarrying information.