Following an incident where a loaded articulated dump truck overturned, we are reminding all mine operators to develop and implement safe systems of work for the use of heavy earthmoving equipment.
On 20 August 2019 SafeWork SA received notification of an incident in which a loaded articulated dump truck overturned while travelling down a ramp at a quarry.
We remind all mine operators to develop and implement safe systems of work for the use of heavy earthmoving equipment – including in adverse weather conditions – to minimise the risk of unplanned loss of control.
We advise mine operators and persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) to ensure:
- workers are provided with appropriate information, instructions and training
- workers are deemed competent to undertake the task and records of such assessments are maintained
- operators are driving to road conditions
- trucks are maintained in accordance with OEM specifications
- adequate edge protection is maintained
- principal mining hazard management plans and their risk assessments are reviewed to ensure adequacy of risk control measures following an incident.
For further information or assistance please contact SafeWork SA's mining team.
REF: Mines safety alert 002 | Version 2