To obtain a Licence to Perform High Risk Work or add a new class to your existing licence you must be over 18 years of age, reside in South Australia and undertake the relevant training.

A high risk work licence lasts for five years unless cancelled earlier.

You are required to apply for a Licence to Perform High Risk Work in the jurisdiction in which you completed the high risk work training and obtained the qualification.

SafeWork SA may consider issuing a high risk work licence to an applicant who resides outside South Australia, if they can satisfy us of circumstances that justify the granting of the licence.

Paying for your new licence or class

Once you have completed your training and assessment you will be provided a Notice of Satisfactory Assessment Invoice.

Take this invoice to a Service SA Customer Service Centre or an Australia Post Photopoint outlet in South Australia within 60 days of the date of issue. Invoices will not be accepted after 60 days. If your invoice has expired please contact your training organisation to discuss their process to reissue the invoice.

To make payment, you will need to:

  • present you tax invoice
  • check that your details are correct on the tax invoice
  • show 100 points of identification
  • pay the application fee
  • provide a sample signature
  • have your photograph taken.

Your new licence will be posted to you once your application is processed. Keep your receipt as evidence of payment until you receive your licence.

If you have not received your licence within 6 weeks please contact us on 1300 365 255. If you do not contact us within 90 days you may incur a card replacement fee.

Licence expiry dates

You are responsible for ensuring your licence remains current. You cannot undertake high risk work once your licence has passed the expiry date. If you do not renew your licence within 12 months of the expiry date you will need to undergo retraining before applying for a new licence.

The addition of new qualifications does not alter your original licence 'start' date. It will still expire/become due for renewal 5 years after the original issue date.

SafeWork SA will send out a reminder 30 days prior to the licence expiry date.

It is your responsibility to make sure your contact details are up-to-date in order to receive these reminders. You can update your details at any time through the High Risk Work portal.

100 points of identification

Upon payment for a Licence to Perform High Risk Work, you must produce 100 points of identification. All documents must be originals. Cards available via an official Government app (eg MySAGov, Centerlink, Medicare) are accepted as valid original documents. Photographs or photocopies of licences are not accepted.

If you cannot produce a primary document, 100 points can be made up from a combination of secondary documents, provided at least one document includes photo identification, your full name and signature (eg a driver's licence). At least one of the documents must show your date of birth.

If you cannot produce evidence of identity documents matching the requirements specified below, the application cannot proceed.

All forms of identification must be current unless it is expressly stated otherwise.

Primary Documents
70 points
Secondary Documents
40 points
Secondary Documents
25 points
Australian Passport
Current or expired which has not been cancelled and was current within the preceding 2 years
Australian Driver's Licence Proof of Age Card
International Passport
Current passports only - expired passports not accepted
Passport in a language other than English must be accompanied by an official translation
Licence to Perform High Risk Work Medicare Card
Australian Full Birth Certificate or Certificate Extract Public Service Identity Card Current bank or credit union issued credit card, debit or account card
Australian Citizenship Certificate Tertiary Education Identity Card Bank or credit union statement
  Veterans' Affairs Card Council rates notice
  Centrelink Card Utility bill
  Health Care Card Telephone bill
   Motor vehicle registration certificate