SafeWork SA supports Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs), Health and Safety Committee (HSC) members, Persons Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBUs) and workers on a variety of work health and safety matters.
This includes advice and information on:
- forming work groups
- promoting HSRs and HSCs in the workplace
- determining appropriate persons to be HSRs
- electing HSRs and deputy HSRs
- HSR entitlements e.g. training
- HSR roles and functions
- establishing HSCs.
SafeWork SA officers also:
- co-ordinate HSR network meetings in metropolitan and regional areas
- conduct information sessions for groups and workplaces on HSR and HSC roles and functions, and consultation processes for resolving safety issues
- evaluate HSCs by request, including documented findings and recommendations for improving the effectiveness of the committee
- assist with access to SafeWork SA's online HSR records
- manage the approval process for HSR training providers
- administer the HSR training subsidy program.
An Inspector can be requested to attend a workplace to:
For assistance on any of the above, please contact SafeWork SA's Help Centre on 1300 365 255.
Online HSR Records
SafeWork SA maintains HSR records online. PCBUs can advise of HSR election results, download reports on currents HSRs and view listings by site/location. Approved training providers can also search online to check if HSRs are registered with SafeWork SA or have already attended training within their current term of office.
Approved WHS Consultants
HSRs can seek the assistance of SafeWork SA approved WHS consultants qualified to advise on work health and safety issues. To access this free service HSRs should make direct contact with the listed consultants.
Legislation and guidance material
Code of Practice for Work Health and Safety Consultation Co-operation and Co-ordination
Worker Representation and Participation Guide (Safe Work Australia)
Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA)
Work Health and Safety Regulations 2012 (SA)