A work health and safety investigation is a search for information about an incident that uses evidence to establish:
- what occurred
- how it occurred
- who, if anyone, is responsible
- whether it could or should have been prevented.
An investigation involves collecting a range of evidence, including:
- witness statements
- equipment in use
- objects found at the scene
- documentary evidence such as safe operating procedures and training records.
An investigation may also involve the engagement of experts to examine evidence and provide reports.
Possible investigation outcomes include:
- verbal direction where the hazard can be controlled while the inspector is present
- issuing an Improvement Notice/s
- issuing a Prohibition Notice/s
- issuing an Infringement Notice/s
- entering an enforceable undertaking
- mounting a prosecution.