The owner of a pipeline must manage risks associated with the transfer of the hazardous chemicals through that pipeline.
The builders of the pipeline must provide the following information to SafeWork SA:
- name of the pipeline's intended owner and operator
- pipeline specifications (length, diameter, maximum operating pressure, maximum operating flow)
- intended procedures for the operation, maintenance, renewal and relaying of the pipeline
- any public places that the pipeline will cross (a geographical map, detailing start and finish locations, underground/above ground sections)
- intended emergency response procedures.
This information must be provided to SafeWork SA:
- before the building of the pipeline commences,
- before the pipeline is commissioned,
- before the pipeline is likely to contain a hazardous chemical,
- if there is a changes to the information already supplied,
- before a pipeline is repaired and
- before any removal, decommissioning, closure or abandonment of the pipeline occurs.
The pipeline operator must notify SafeWork SA of the:
- supplier of the hazardous chemical
- receiver of the hazardous chemical
- correct classification of the hazardous chemical.
Notification must be made in writing to:
Dangerous Substances Team
GPO Box 465
Adelaide SA 5001