SafeWork SA

You are here

Go to top of page


Upcoming displays

Pyrotechnicians must notify us at least 5 business days before any upcoming displays.

Permits to hold displays during the fire danger season and days of total fire ban are issued by the Country Fire Service.

Upcoming fireworks, pyrotechnic or special effects displays
Date Time Location/Event
07/03/2020 9.00pm-9.30pm Private function, Regency Park
07/03/2020 9.30pm-9.35pm Private function, Modbury

Licence requirements

Pyrotechnicians and pyrotechnic business are required to be licensed before they can sell fireworks or conduct a fireworks or special effects display.

Notification before conducting a display

Pyrotechnicians must notify SafeWork SA of their intention to conduct a fireworks, pyrotechnic or special effects display. Notification must be made at least 5 clear business days prior to the date of the display.

The supervising pyrotechnician, must complete and submit a separate notification form for each display, either online or by PDF icon downloading the form and chem.safework [at] (emailing to us).

Before submitting a notification you must have:

  • evidence of consent from the person who owns or has care, control or management of the land to be used
  • a list of the fireworks to be used including size, quantity and minimum clearance distances.

You should have other documentation available, where required, including:

  • a Schedule 9 permit under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005, if the display is during the fire danger season - permits are issued by the Country Fire Service
  • evidence that the display is for a cultural or religious ceremony or celebration, if string crackers are to be used
  • Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) approval, where required - contact CASA if you are unsure
  • a Public Notice published in a newspaper circulating within the area, not less than 7 and no more than 14 calendar days before the display, if using aerial fireworks or fireworks that are designed to produce a loud noise - in some instances it may be better to letterbox drop a notice to neighbouring properties.

These provisions are covered under Regulation 13(1) of the Explosives (Fireworks) Regulations 2016.


If you have concerns about a fireworks display, for example property damage or how and where the display was held, you can lodge an official complaint with us, making sure you have taken note of the date, time and location, and can describe the display, as these are mandatory inclusions on the complaint form.

If you have concerns about the use of illegal fireworks, it is recommended that you contact the South Australian Police in the first instance.

Noise complaints are handled by the Environment Protection Authority.