A person who carries out gas fitting work must comply with varied requirements for working with is for LPG or CNG. Carrying work out with LPG must be in accordance with the relevant requirements of AS/NZS 1425. Where the work is carried out with the use of CNG, it must be within accordance of the relevant requirements of AS/NZS 2739.
Replacement licence form: Replacement gas fitting permit
Guide for applicants: Permit to carry out gas fitting work - Guide for applicants
Fees: $117. Additional options are available. Please see our list of fees for further information.
Duration: 3 years
There are six classes of gas fitting as follows:
- Class 1 - all classes of gas fitting
- Class 2 - three installations for approval (a pre-requisite to obtaining a Class 1)
- Class 3 - fork lifts only (installation, maintenance, repair)
- Class 4 - vehicle gas equipment (maintenance, repair)
- Class 5* - stationary engines (installation, maintenance, repair)
- Class 6 - other situation specific e.g. wreckers removing systems (combination of installation, maintenance, repair)
* Work on stationary engines that involves large volume of LPG/CNG may also require a 'Type B' gas licence issued by the Office of the Technical Regulator.