All Codes of Practice published on this page are the current approved Codes for South Australia. Safe Work Australia may have adopted more recent, updated Model Codes which may be awaiting consultation and endorsement by SafeWork SA.
See the Safe Work Australia website for other Codes of Practice not listed on this page.
Complementing work health and safety laws, Codes of Practice provide practical guidance on how to comply with your legal obligations. Codes of Practice need to be followed unless you have an alternative policy or solution with the same or a better health and safety standards in your workplace.
The following Codes of Practice are operational in South Australia:
- Abrasive blasting
- Confined spaces
- Demolition work
- Excavation work
- First aid in the workplace
- Hazardous manual tasks
- How to manage work health and safety risks
- How to manage and control asbestos in the workplace
- How to safely remove asbestos
- Labelling of workplace hazardous chemicals
- Managing electrical risks in the workplace
- Managing noise and preventing hearing loss at work
- Managing risks in stevedoring
- Managing risks of hazardous chemicals in the workplace
- Managing the risk of falls in the workplace
- Managing the risks of plant in the workplace
- Managing the work environment and facilities
- Preparation of safety data sheets for hazardous chemicals
- Spray painting and powder coating
- Welding processes
- Work health and safety consultation, co-operation and co-ordination
Transitional arrangements enable the following Codes and Standards to continue to operate in South Australia while national codes are developed:
- National Code of Practice for Precast, Tilt Up and Concrete Elements in Building Construction
- Tuna farm diving - Code of Practice
- AS/NZS 1200: Pressure equipment
- AS 4024.3001: Safety of machinery - Materials forming and shearing - Mechanical power presses
- AS 4024.3002: Safety of machinery - Materials forming and shearing - Hydraulic power presses
- AS 1418: Cranes, including hoists and winches
- AS/NZS 1576: Scaffolding (Parts 1 - 4)
- AS 1735: Lifts, escalators and moving walks
- AS 1755: Conveyers - Safety requirements
- AS 3533: Amusement rides and devices
- AS 2030: Gas cylinders
- AS 2550: Cranes, hoists and winches - Safe use
- AS 2593: Boilers - Safety management and supervision systems
- AS/NZS 3788: Pressure equipment - In-service inspection.
Australian Standards are available at our Library.