It’s important that Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) understand their role and how, where and when to use their legal powers.
To help develop the skills needed to effectively represent workers in their work group, HSRs are entitled to attend approved HSR training and should do so as soon as possible after being elected.
HSRs and deputy HSRs are entitled to attend approved training during each year of their term of office, with course costs and time off work paid for. In consultation with their person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) an HSR can choose the course and the training provider. Check our training calendar (PDF 201KB) for details of forthcoming courses.
Training entitlements during a 3-year term of office are:
- First year – 5 days
- Second year – 3 days
- Third year – 2 days.
The initial 5 days of training must be completed in the first year of office, and then HSRs can select from 3-day and 1-day course options in subsequent years or terms of office. HSRs re-elected for another 3-year term have the same training entitlements.
PCBUs must, within 3 months of an HSR’s request, allow them to attend a course in work health and safety up to the prescribed training entitlement. This training time must be paid at the worker’s usual pay rate. Course fees and any other reasonable costs must also be paid.
HSRs can also participate in other workshops seminars and/or relevant conferences held either on consecutive days or throughout the year, by negotiation with their PCBU. Attendance at these sessions can occur outside of the HSR training entitlement days, with PCBU agreement.
SafeWork SA has approved a range of training courses for HSRs to choose from. The course learning objectives and outcomes are stipulated for training providers we have approved to deliver the following course content:
5-day course (first year initial training) covering:
- interpreting the work health and safety (WHS) legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR
- identifying key parties, legislative obligations and duties
- establishing representation in the workplace
- participating in consultation and issue resolution
- representing members in the WHS risk management process undertaken by the PCBU
- issuing a provisional improvement notice and directing the cessation of work.
3-day course covering:
- participating in, and contributing to, the formation of risk management processes and controls for multiple hazards, complex risks and concepts of reasonably practicable undertaken by the PCBU
- participating in, and contributing to, the gathering of hazard and risk-related statistical data and information for identifying and controlling multiple hazards and complex risks
- representing members in the formation of WHS action plans for multiple hazards and complex risks.
- aims to add and extend to the range of skills and knowledge acquired in the 5 day and 3 day initial courses. An important feature of the course design is the flexibility of topics to enable participants to select areas directly relevant to their workplace management structure and own experience.
1-day refresher and topic-specific options:
- WHS refresher, aimed at providing a brief overview of the learning outcomes covered during an HSR’s first year of office, with particular attention to amendments to WHS legislation and supporting resources.
- Consultation processes
- Contributing to workplace health and wellbeing
- Fatigue management
- Inappropriate behaviours
- Inspections and incident investigation
- Policy and procedures.
SafeWork SA does not sponsor or endorse, nor can we recommend, any particular training provider.
PCBUs organising training for HSRs in a high risk industry or from a small business with less than 100 workers may be eligible for an HSR training subsidy from SafeWork SA. Subsidies are up to $100 per day for each HSR attending approved HSR training.
Contact our Help Centre on 1300 365 255 for more information or to find out if you are eligible.
Training providers who wish to deliver training for elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and deputy HSRs in South Australia can apply to SafeWork SA for approval.
Prospective training providers must:
- ensure they have sufficient resources to undertake the administrative activities necessary to comply
- apply for approval by referring to the guidelines (PDF 502KB) which include an application form
- develop HSR training courses for approval by referring to our 5-day (PDF 131KB), 3-day (PDF 85KB) and 1-day (PDF 127KB) course learning objectives and outcomes.
Find a provider
We have approved the following organisations to deliver HSR training.
Access Training Centre
7 La Salle Street, Dudley Park SA 5008
Phone: 8169 9800
Fax: 8269 1411
Email: info [at] accesstrainingcentre.com.au
Adelaide Training and Employment Centre
275 Grand Junction Road, Ottoway SA 5013
Phone: 8444 1608
Fax: 8240 1433
Email: bookings [at] atec.asn.au
ASC Training and Development
Level 2, Harmer House, 5 Leigh Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: 8410 2627
Fax: 8410 0301
Email: info [at] asctraining.com.au
ASKOHS Pty Ltd
PO Box 10462, Adelaide BC SA 5000
Phone: 0449 921 919
Email: askohs [at] gmail.com
136 Greenhill Road, Unley SA 5061
Phone: 8300 0103
Fax: 8300 0001
Email: customerservice [at] business-sa.com
Celtic Training and Consultancy
148 Hindley Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Fax: 8211 7977
Email: celtictrain [at] optusnet.com.au
1 South Road, Thebarton SA 5031
Phone: 8111 8000
Fax: 8111 8002
Email: courses [at] civiltrainsa.com.au
Construction Industry Training Centre
491-499 South Road Regency Park SA
Phone: 8301 4500
Fax: 8301 4501
Email: maritonette [at] citc.com.au
Go Green Consulting
PO Box 446, Stepney SA 5069
Phone: 0411 874 556
Email: melinda [at] gogreenconsulting.com.au
1a Hedley Street, Mount Gambier SA 5290
Phone: 8724 8577
Fax: 8724 8599
Email: gm [at] gramac.com.au
22-24 Main Street, Mawson Lakes SA 5095
Phone: 8360 1920
Fax: 8360 1960
Email: training [at] jobsafesa.asn.au
Learning Sphere Training Solutions
3 Edna Street, Warrimoo NSW 2774
Phone: 1300 296 298
Fax: 02 8088 4777
Email: admin [at] learningsphere.com.au
Local Government Risk Services
Level 1, 148 Frome Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: 8235 6444
Fax: 8235 6448
Email: cassie.broad [at] jlta.com.au
Master Builders Association SA
47 South Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Telephone: 8211 7466
Fax: 8231 5240
Email: dthompson [at] mbasa.com.au
National Safety Council of Australia
1 Caribbean Drive, Scoresby Vic 3179
Phone: 1800 655 510
Fax: (03) 8756 8293
Email: training [at] nsca.org.au
Paragon Work Health Safety Pty Ltd
PO Box 24, O'Sullivan Beach, SA 5166
Phone: 0407 828 879
Email: contact [at] paragonwhs.com
170 Greenhill Road, Parkside SA 5063
Phone: 8279 2248
Fax: 8279 2223
Email: saunions [at] saunions.org.au
SDA Training Centre
69 Fullarton Road, Kent Town SA 5067
Phone: 8139 1000
Fax: 8139 1099
Email: training [at] sda.com.au
Mary Elie Street, Port Pirie SA 5540
Phone: 7210 3832
Fax: 8638 4215
Email: HSR [at] tafesa.edu.au