The Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 3012: Electrical installations – Construction and demolition sites (AS/NZS 3012) is referenced in Work Health and Safety (WHS) legislation.
The Code of Practice: Managing electrical risks in the workplace has been developed and approved to provide practical guidance for persons conducting a business or undertaking on managing electrical risks in the workplace. It applies to all workplaces where a person conducting a business or undertaking:
- has management or control of electrical equipment, including electrical installations, or
- carries out electrical work on or near energised electrical equipment, including electrical installations.
- appropriately reflect the contents of AS/NZS 3012: Electrical installations - Construction and demolition sites in a user-friendly manner
- provide businesses, employer and employee associations and their members with an industry specific guideline
- contribute to the development of consistent high standard electrical practices in the construction industry that are conducive to electrical safety best practice at the workplace
- reflect the Australian Work Health and Safety Strategy in reducing workplace injuries, particularly in regard to those resulting from electrical incidents.