Extended trading hours for Christmas 2016
This year, the state government has again approved extra trading hours in the lead-up to Christmas and for the post-Christmas sales period.
Non-exempt shops in the city and metropolitan area can open:
- from 9am on Sunday 27 November, Sunday 4 December, Sunday 11 December
and Sunday 18 December 2016
- until 12-midnight on Thursday 15 December, Thursday 22 December and
Friday 23 December 2016.
- from 9am on Tuesday 27 December 2016 (Proclamation Day public holiday)
- until 5pm in metropolitan area
- from 9am on Monday 2 January 2017 (New Year's Day public holiday)
- until 5pm in metropolitan area.
Although they are non-trading days for the wider metropolitan area, non-exempt shops in the city can trade from 11am to 5pm on:
- Monday 26 December 2016
- Sunday 1 January 2017 (New Year's Day).
Shops selling hardware and building materials, furniture, floor coverings or motor vehicle parts and accessories can trade their usual weekday, weekend and public holiday hours, but must be closed on Christmas Day.
The table below provides a guide to trading hours for non-exempt shops in the city and wider metropolitan area during the 2016 Christmas/New Year public holiday period.
|DAY ||CITY ||METRO|
|Saturday, 24 December ||until 5pm ||until 5pm|
|Sunday, 25 December ||CLOSED ||CLOSED|
|Monday, 26 December ||11am to 5pm ||CLOSED|
|Tuesday, 27 December ||9am to 5pm ||9am to 5pm|
|Wednesday, 28 December ||until 9pm ||until 9pm|
|Thursday, 29 December ||until 9pm ||until 9pm|
|Friday, 30 December ||until 9pm ||until 9pm|
|Saturday, 31 December ||until 5pm ||until 5pm|
|Sunday, 1 January ||11am to 5pm ||CLOSED|
|Monday, 2 January ||9am to 5pm ||9am to 5pm|