The Approved Code of Practice for First Aid in the Workplace (the Code) came into operation on 10 December 2010.
- reflects a more contemporary and best practice approach to first aid
- better recognises the needs of different workplaces
- brings South Australia's requirements more in line with those interstate, paving the way to a smoother transition to national uniformity.
The Code was approved by the South Australian Government in 2009 under Section 63 of the Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare Act 1986, on the recommendation of the SafeWork SA Advisory Committee following an extensive two-year consultation process.
The enactment date was delayed to allow for a one-year transitional period to give industry an opportunity to become familiar with the new requirements and make any necessary changes in their workplace before the Code came into operation.
Note: the former Approved Code of Practice for Occupational Health and First Aid 1991 was revoked as an approved code of practice on 10 December 2010.
For more information please read or download from the links below:
- First Aid Code of Practice - OHS Information Sheet #6 - Frequently Asked Questions - provides answers to common questions about the Code.
- 4-Step Guide for Small Business - provides a step-by-step approach to working out what (if any) action you need to take to implement the Code.
- Sample notices for printable First Aid Notice and First Aid Arrangements.
Free copies of the 4-Step Guide for Small Business
are available from the SafeWork SA Bookshop
or you can download a copy below.
Note: OHS Information Sheets #1-5 referred to in the 4-Step Guide have been replaced by Information Sheet #6 effective 10 December 2010.
For any questions regarding the Code, please telephone the SafeWork SA Help Centre on 1300 365 255.