Skip to content


Frequently Asked Questions

Information for workers

What is 'White Card training' or a 'White Card'?

'White Card training' is the term used to describe general induction for construction training. This is a course of training that provides basic knowledge of construction work, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) Laws that apply, common hazards likely to be encountered in construction work, and how the associated risks can be controlled.

'White Card' is a term used to describe the plastic card issued by a Registered Training Organisation indicating that a person has undertaken general induction training for construction work. Under the WHS legislation, workers on construction sites in Australia must undertake general induction training or 'White Card training' and have evidence of their attendance from the course before they are permitted to commence work on a construction site. The WHS regulations outline this requirement.

What is Construction work?

Construction work is defined in the regulations and means any work carried out in connection with the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting out, commissioning, renovation, repair, maintenance, refurbishment, demolition, decommissioning or dismantling of a structure.

The WHS regulations do not permit workers to carry out construction work without completing general induction training for construction work.

A PCBU is not permitted to allow workers to carry out construction work unless the worker has completed general induction training for construction work.

Where can I go to get trained in general induction for construction and get a 'White Card'?

The National Register for the Vocational Education and Training sector's website lists Registered Training Organisations that have approval to deliver 'White Card' training. The course is called 'CPCCOHS1001A - Work safely in the construction industry.' This information can also be found in the Yellow Pages under Registered Training Organisations.

There are 'White Cards' issued in all Australian States being presented on South Australian worksites. Are interstate cards accepted in South Australia?

Yes. WHS Regulation 318-Recognition of general construction induction training cards issued in other jurisdictions clearly states that all construction induction training cards issued in other jurisdictions are valid.

SafeWork SA Inspectors accept all cards presented to them on construction sites irrespective of where the card had been issued. PCBUs in control of construction work are obliged to accept all white cards.

Does the requirement for 'White Card' to have photographic ID mean that all those cards issued before 1 July 2011 need to be re-issued with a photograph?

No. All 'white cards' issued prior 1 July 2011, remain valid and should be accepted at any Australian construction site.

Does the 'White Card' have an expiry date?

No. However, a person in control of a site can require a person to undertake refresher training if they consider it necessary.

I've lost my 'White Card'. How do I get a replacement?

You will need to go back to the Registered Training Organisation where you completed your training and ask for a replacement card. The Registered Training Organisation will issue you with the new style of card (with your photograph) however the card will show the original date of issue. The Registered Training Organisation may charge you a fee for the replacement card.

I've heard that there are different types of induction training. What does this mean?

In addition to general induction training, other training includes:

  1. Site specific induction training - training organised by a particular employer or work site to provide workers with knowledge of health and safety issues and safe work practices specific to that site.
  2. Task specific induction training - training provided at the workplace for a specific work task. This assists workers in understanding how to undertake a particular task safely.

Information about the administration of 'White Card' in SA

In accordance with the WHS Regulations 2012, Registered Training Organisations that have an agreement with SafeWork SA are authorised to issue a White Card to a person who has successfully completed general construction induction for construction training in SA.

What role does Government have in 'White Card' training?

In line with Work Health and Safety legislation introduced in SA on 1st January 2013, there are certain requirements that a Registered Training Organisation must meet in order to fulfill its obligations in relation to induction for construction training. SafeWork SA is the South Australian government agency that administers the Work Health and Safety laws in this state and so regulates induction training for construction work and may ask workers to provide their cards for inspection on a construction site. An Inspector may also request to inspect the records of induction training or other records of competencies from the Person Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBU). The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) is the national authority that oversees and regulates the operations of Registered Training Organisations.

Does SafeWork SA manage a database of people who hold White Cards in SA?

No. Individual Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) keep their own trainee records.

What is the Construction Industry Training Board's role?

The Construction Industry Training Board assists in promoting the construction industry and increasing the skills of Australian construction workers through specialised training relevant to construction work by partially funding activities associated with training people to work in the construction industry.

Information for Registered Training Organisations

I am a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and wish to commence training people in 'White Card' in South Australia. What do I need to do?

The first step for a Registered Training Organisation is to obtain the specified unit, Work Safely in the Construction Industry, on scope by applying to ASQA. When the course is on scope, ASQA will list the details on the website:

When the RTO has the course on scope and can demonstrate that they meet the necessary conditions and criteria, they may enter into an agreement with SafeWork SA to issue the 'White Cards'.

Where to go for further information

Please note that in South Australia a construction project involves construction work which is $450,000 or more. This is different to the National Code of Practice for Construction Work.


National Code of Practice for Construction Work
Safe Work Australia

Australian Skills Quality Authority
Link to website

Safe Work Australia
Link to website

Dial Before You Dig

Australia's National Referral Service for Information on Underground Pipes and Cables