SafeWork SA continues to work with industry and employers to ensure safe, fair, productive working lives for the state's workers. To further promote the message that work health and safety is in everyone's interest we are running a campaign, Share Your Reason.
This campaign is aligned with South Australia's Strategic Plan commitment to reduce workplace injuries and fatalities and the Australian Work Health and Safety Strategy 2012-22 target of reducing worker fatalities.
The significant economic cost - estimated at $60.6 billion or 4.8 per cent of the Australian Gross Domestic Product - of work-related injury, illness and death is nationally borne by workers, their families and the broader community, including business.
You can share your reason for being safe at work and help us spread the message.
For many of us the reason for being safe at work is not at work at all - instead it's the people we love, the things we like doing and the fun we have away from work that matter most.
We are asking people to think about work, health and safety and the parts of life that a workplace incident would jeopardise.
With our Share Your Reason campaign we are encouraging everyone to upload a photo of their special reason - people, places, activities or pets - for staying safe at work.
A selection of photos then feature in our television advertisements, online and on our Facebook page.
You can also help make your workplaces safer by:
- making time for safety and hosting a Take 10@10 session or other safety event at your workplace
- speaking up about safety - if you have a safety issue tell someone, for example your supervisor or health and safety representative
- considering it any new work procedure, equipment or plant
- understanding your role and what health and safety issues you responsible for in your workplace
- helping with regular safety initiatives where you can
- finding and fixing any dangers or risks that might be involved in the job before you start the task
- not letting deadlines or convenience compromise safety
- developing and implementing safety procedures and systems in your workplace, and
- following reasonable instruction and direction regarding safe work procedures and wearing personal protective equipment.
And remember, there's more to life than work. To share your reason for staying safe at work visit www.shareyourreason.sa.gov.au and encourage people you know to share their reason too.