The most important reason for workplace safety, is not at work at all.
Safe Work Australia estimates that more than 135,000 people are seriously injured at work every year and more than 200 die from work-related injuries, while many more are lost to work-related diseases.
These are more than just statistics. Each one represents lost ability, talent, experience, productivity, opportunities, as well as lost income. Even more importantly, workplace injuries have effects that reach beyond the individual and businesses. Every injured worker has friends, family and other loved ones who may be directly or indirectly affected, both emotionally and financially.
That's why Homecomings reminds us all that the most important reason for workplace safety is not at work at all.
Have you considered what your most important reason for coming home safely is?
We all have someone or something that we love coming home to.
We'd like to see all South Australian employers and employees come home safely from work each day. Join us in making South Australian workplaces safe.
What you can do
There are a number of ways that you can contribute to workplace safety:
- Take time out for safety at work - host a Take 10@10 session or other safety event at your workplace.
- Speak up about safety - talk to your health and safety representative or your supervisor if there is a safety issue at your workplace.
- Always factor safety into any new work procedure, equipment or plant.
- Understand your role - make sure everyone understands what health and safety issues they are responsible for in your workplace.
- Assist where you can in regular safety initiatives.
- Don't let work start without finding and fixing any dangers or risks that might be involved in the job.
- Never let deadlines or convenience compromise safety.
- Work together to develop and implement procedures and systems for every job in your workplace.
- Follow reasonable instructions and directions regarding safe work procedures and wearing personal protective equipment.
How we can help
This website has wide-ranging information that can assist you in making your workplace safe. Whether you need information on workplace hazards or industry-specific issues, you will find useful guidance material here.
Alternatively, if you have a specific workplace issue that you would like advice on, call the SafeWork SA Help Centre on 1300 365 255 (located at 33 Richmond Road, Keswick and at country offices located at Berri, Mt Gambier, Pt Lincoln, Pt Pirie and Whyalla).
If you would like copies of SafeWork SA publications or access to books and other materials specifically on workplace issues, call or visit the SafeWork SA Library and Bookshop between 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Telephone - 8204 8877
Location - Ground floor, State Administration Centre, 200 Victoria Square, Adelaide
Telephone - 8204 8881